March SOL 10/31 - Mentoring

Last year our church decided to start a mentoring program for 8th & 9th graders.  It was successful, but the volunteers thought that maybe we would be better geared to mentor younger children.  In September we started mentoring 3rd and 8th graders, but no 8th graders showed up, so we have been working with 13 to 17 third graders.

We have one gentleman who welcomes the kids with an active game or two and then we serve some snacks.  After the snacks, the mentors each take a child and we help them with their homework (if they have any).  Otherwise we work on multiplication tables, reading, writing cursive, working on IPads, or educational games for 45 minutes. Then our wonderful cooks serve them and their families a light dinner.

Last night we had a small group because they were having a program at school. I've been working with a delightful young lady.  She struggles with math, is very good at spelling and reading.  So we work on flash cards - she does one, I do the next (sometimes right answers, sometimes not).  She loves when she catches me with a wrong answer and she can answer correctly.  When we finished our game, she started drawing a picture and hiding it from me.  When she was finished, she presented it to me and gave me a hug.

What JOY I experienced last night!

Comments

  1. I loved this idea when you first wrote about it. You are definitely making a difference in that girl's life. She recognizes that fact. Love her drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is precious! You're obviously building a great relationship with your little mentee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great service this is for the kids and families. Aren't kids the sweetest?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful program. It's so sweet that you received this picture and a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That program sounds great! Third grade kids are such a wonderful age. :-). ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy, I love this idea. What a great thing for kids of any age. I love sweet little notes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mentoring program sounds amazing! I can tell your mentee has built a solid relationship with you. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great program! Love that you connected with this girl. She is definitely right ... you are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It gives me goosebumps that you and your church family are doing this...Such love. You are His hands and feet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years