March SOL 11/31 - That Nasty Four Letter Word
Just when we thought it was over
Just when we were enjoying the sunshine and warmer temps
Just when everything started to pop out
Just when thoughts of planting got into our head
That nasty four letter word was spread throughout the air waves.
When we moved to the Ozarks 17 years ago, we were so surprized to learn that nasty little word was a threat to everyone here.
Whenever that nasty little word was heard, everyone would scurry to the grocery store to buy up whatever they could find - nevermind that they were well stocked to begin with. We, Northerners thought "how silly". It's sunny and it's only a slight chance and even if we get it, it will only last a day, two at the most.
Yesterday, that nasty four letter word was once again broadcast.
We had to do our regular bi-monthly grocery shopping, so we had quite a cart full, plus the store was having their 10# meal sale. When we checked out, the words from the checker's mouth left me laughing. "So, I see you're stocking up for the big SNOW"!
That nasty four letter word. No snow yet, but they're still predicting it. Oh, well, we are completing stocked to get through this winter episode!
Just when we were enjoying the sunshine and warmer temps
Just when everything started to pop out
Just when thoughts of planting got into our head
That nasty four letter word was spread throughout the air waves.
When we moved to the Ozarks 17 years ago, we were so surprized to learn that nasty little word was a threat to everyone here.
Whenever that nasty little word was heard, everyone would scurry to the grocery store to buy up whatever they could find - nevermind that they were well stocked to begin with. We, Northerners thought "how silly". It's sunny and it's only a slight chance and even if we get it, it will only last a day, two at the most.
Yesterday, that nasty four letter word was once again broadcast.
We had to do our regular bi-monthly grocery shopping, so we had quite a cart full, plus the store was having their 10# meal sale. When we checked out, the words from the checker's mouth left me laughing. "So, I see you're stocking up for the big SNOW"!
That nasty four letter word. No snow yet, but they're still predicting it. Oh, well, we are completing stocked to get through this winter episode!
This is so funny to me (living in Maine) I'm sure snow has a completely different meaning for you all. Wishing you luck as you hunker down for the big (nasty 4 letter word)!
ReplyDeleteI live in Missouri too. The "S" word doesn't bother me at all, particularly since I am no longer driving my tiny little tin can and have reverted to a grown-up AWD vehicle. However, the many faces of winter weather here, ice in particular, can pose challenges in those hills! Not so much a fan of ice...
ReplyDeleteAs a fellow Missourian, I can commiserate with overcrowded grocery stores at the slightest hint of inclement weather...there is only one word that might actually produce fear more intense than the S-word. It is 3 letters: I-C-E! Stay warm!
ReplyDeletePeople go crazy here too, Judy, but we have none of that four letter word in sight, except in the mountains. We could use it! I have to tell you, too, that since I've lived in Missouri, I thought your four letter word was going to be "tick". When spring comes, that's the one I watch for. Hope you don't get too much of the "other" four letter word!
ReplyDeleteI'm in warm Florida right now, but heading home soon. I hear we will be getting a foot of snow next Tuesday in Northern NJ/NYC. Yuck. Hopefully, it will all melt and planting season will be upon us.
ReplyDeleteYes, that word does send everyone into a tizzy. I'm hoping it will slide past us, but that's not what the weather man says. There will be no peaches for me if it comes here.
ReplyDeleteWell stated, Mom! That nasty four letter word is predicted up north too. A couple inches at best. We'll see what really happens. Happy to hear you are stocked and ready to stay home, if needed. Be careful and stay warm! Spring will makes its march back to us!
ReplyDeleteWe are dealing with another nasty four letter word COLD. During the day it was 22 degrees below zero. The SNOW is suppose to come on Tuesday for us. I thought I was going to survive winter because it was almost over. I keep thinking in a month things will be different, right?
ReplyDelete