March SOL 15/31 - A Daunting Task

The other day, there was a commercial from an insurance company on tv and they were giving tips of what you need to do before a tragedy occurs.

One of there tips was to walk through your home, take pictures of everything and documents the items, when you got them, the cost, sentimental value, irreplaceable, etc.  Put the pictures and documentation in a safe place - away from your house.

That way if a fire, tornado, hurricane, or any other type of disaster should occur, you would know exactly what you lost.

I got to thinking about that and today, I started this task.  Just writing down each item.  I'll have hubby take pictures to coincide with what I have written down.
I started in the living room - simple - right?  I thought that would be an easy room - just a little furniture, tv, oh, the tables and lamps, the handmade table runners, and now the corner hutch - filled with so much, so many memories.  I looked at my Mom's china, the top of our wedding cake, the bowls from my Grandmother.  On and on it went.  Each item bringing a memory and then the thought that they couldn't be replaced if something unforeseen happened.

So much joy fills that corner hutch and the memories that were brought to mind as I picked up each piece.  A daunting task indeed, but one that I will enjoy as I continue thru our home.

Comments

  1. Nothing like walking down memory lane to make us stop and remember what we have. The value of memories are not easy to put a price on. Enjoy completing your inventory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a daunting task! I saw the same report, and I'm just waiting for my husband to suggest beginning that task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have seen that suggestion. It is time consuming not so much because it takes time but because we stop to remember and cherish each thing we pick up or look at. All those wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a smart idea. I know Jon took a video at the old house to capture the "items" but not as detailed. It's a daunting task, but worth the time, just in case, and worth the walk down memory lane too. Plus then I will know more details about all the treasures too! :) Thanks, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you savor time with your treasures and memories. Think of it as a stroll through the past!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For what at first simply seemed an overwhelming task, it sounds like you discovered much joy and gratitude in the process. Don't you love it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years