March SOL 2/31 - Homes We've Lived In

As we continue remodeling our latest home, I have been thinking about all the houses we've lived in and how we've made each of them our home.

The first house I remember was the one where I was born and raised for the first 11 years of my life.  I reminised about it in a slice in 2014 First Home.  Many happy times spent in that home with my parents and brother, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.

My Dad quit farming and worked full time in home construction and he built a house in town in 1959. This is where I lived until I got out on my own and rented an apartment in 1968 with my future sister-in-law.






When Len & I got married, we moved to a mobile home in Dover, Delaware, where he was stationed at Dover Air Force Base.  We lived there for about 8 months until he finished his four years of active duty.  We then moved to Pontiac, IL where we purchased a home (no pictures - guess they are well buried).  We lived there for about a year when Len got a job offer for the U.S. Air Force Reserves at O'Hare IAP.  We again lived in an apartment for a year and then moved to Carpentersville, IL (again those pictures elude me).

The year Michelle was born, we built a home in Cary, IL and lived there for 22 years.  The kids both grew up in this home and we have many good memories of living in the Cary area.

Our next journey took us to Mountain Home, AR where we built our dream home - a log home in the woods.  We enjoyed 16 years here, but two years ago we decided it was time to downsize and get something that was maintenance free.



And so our final journey (to date) has us at this home, still in Mountain Home.  We have been doing some minor renovations for the past year and half and are truly enjoying this journey.



Comments

  1. What a trip back in time! They are all just houses until the family turns it into a home. I know each picture brought you special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our homes change as our lifestyles and needs change. We leave a small part of ourselves behind every time we move. We might not have, or be able to find, pictures of every house we liven in, but we do have the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing all the homes in your journey, Judy. That ranch looks like one my parents built after I left home. Your first home looks fabulous and of course I envy you this latest one in that setting. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you've lived lots of wonderful places! I especially am jealous of the log home. I used to date someone who lived in Pontiac for several years in College, but then we broke up when I got a job in Carpentersville back in the suburbs:) Small world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun journey ... isn't it amazing to think you have live and owned this many houses?!? I'm actually surprised! This was a fun slice to visit ... and all the memories too ... thanks for taking me back home, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat slice! I love that no matter where you lived, you made each of them home!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years