March SOL 30/31 - Congratulations to a Special Friend

Once again, I was struggling to figure out what I was going to write about and Voila, I read an e-mail.

When I lived in Illinois, I worked for Elgin Sweeper Company for fourteen years.  During that 14 years, a great friendship grew with Monika.  She started working for the President of the company when she was 18.  Tomorrow she is retiring and will be turning 70 in July.

She has seen a lot of changes go on during those years - the company going from privately owned to becoming a public entity, the number of presidents and vice presidents she's trained over the years, the knowledge that she has of the history of that company, going from a union to a non-union shop and the strike that came about because of it, the high and lows of sales....  The list is much longer and she has so many memories.

I had sent her a congrats card and she said it was going on her bookshelf along with all the other Elgin Sweeper memorabilia,  She is an amazing women and has so much that she still wants to do with her life.

Can you imagine working for one company for over 50 years?  Especially today when the job market is so open and companies are lucky to keep an employee for  more than 2-3 years.

So, Monika, I wish you the very best that life has to offer you as you retire.

Congratulations!


Comments

  1. 50 years with one company - wow! Here I thought teaching at the same school for 38 years was something. Hope your friend has a long and healthy retirement doing only the things she wants to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monika is amazing and dedicated! And I know she will continue to do so much more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years