March SOL 7/31 - A Short Night's Sleep

Every so often (at least once a week), I have a night when I fall asleep quickly, but then wake up and can't go back to sleep.  I used to do this more often when I was working and continued to think about what needed to get done the next day.  Being retired, I don't (shouldn't) have that problem.  But, last night was different....

When we were getting ready for bed, the weather alert sounded.  There was a tornado watch for our area - heavy rain, high winds, hail.  The wind had been gusting all day, but really picked up earlier in the evening.  But it was only a watch, so off to bed we went.  Just got soundly asleep and once again at 1:00 the weather alert went off.  Severe thunderstorms this time - we saw lightening and heard thunder and the wind and then a rain storm.

Back to sleep to the lull of rain.  Pitter, patter - the sound of Max's nails on the hallway floor.  It's 1:30 - he needs to go outside.  Fortunately, I can just let him out the door and he does his duty and returns.  I opened the door, out he went, but wait - it's raining!  How can I possibly go out in the rain?  But this time he does - quickly - and returns.  Shakes off and goes back to bed and is instantly asleep and snoring.

It wasn't but an hour later and again, the pitter, patter of Max.  So up I got, opened the door.  He stopped, stuck his nose out and to his (and my) dismay, it was still raining.  He turned around and looked at me as if to say.  I don't think so.  My response was, Oh yes, you will!

Once again, back to bed - this time wide eyed and unable to fall back to sleep.  I must have dozed once or twice, but when I looked at the clock is was 5:15.  My usual time for getting up. I'm thinking a nap around 1:00 sounds pretty good.  

We were lucky that we had no severe storms in our area, but other parts of Arkansas did get hit with possible tornados and high winds.  Prayers being said for all who have experienced severe weather,


Comments

  1. Love this walk through a tumultuous night at your house. I'm retired too, but still have those wakeful nights. Like you, I sometimes grab an afternoon nap. I grew up in OK,so I have vivid memories of those weather alerts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't blame Max for not wanting to go out in the rain. After such a restless night you deserve a nap...and maybe dinner out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the weather wasn't severe in your area. I didn't hear the storm, but I don't think it was too bad here. I hate nights when I wake up multiple times, which happens more often than not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man. What a rough night. We had similar weather too. The weather alarm went off twice. Jon was up pacing. The wind was whipping. It was a tough night for us too! I could picture Max's sad eyes looking at you insisting he didn't really have to go out. I hope you got that nap in ... I wasn't as lucky. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years