March SOL 9/31 - Sharing a Special Woman in My Life
Yesterday I wrote about how I wanted to be at the ripe young age of 100 and I mentioned several women who inspire me. Today I want to share my story with you about Pearl.
Pearl came into my life after her husband passed away. She will be 95 years young this year.
I am a Stephen Minister at our church. Stephen Minister have a one-on-one caring relationship with someone who is going thru difficult times. The loss of Pearl's husband, John, was very tramatic for her. I knew who she was because we went to the same church service, but we never had a reason to get to know each other. But I became her Stephen Minister.
Her daughter was visiting from North Carolina the day that I met with her. We were both apprehensive, but this relationship grew stronger each week we visited. The first night I was there, her daughter asked if I'd like to join them in an "attitude adjustment" which really broke the ice for both of us.
Each week for 5 or 6 years, we shared Wednesday night dinner and a glass of wine. We learned about each other and prayed for each other.
Pearl was a voracious reader and enjoyed knitting. She went twice a week to the Strong Women's exercise class, she loves playing Scrabble and played weekly at the Senior Center. She worked crossword puzzles and mind games.
Over the years our Stephen Ministry relationship turning into a wonderful friendship and kinship. Five years ago, Pearl's eyesight diminshed and she couldn't drive any more. Her daughter came to help, to see if there was some place that she could move into. The decision was made with much trepidation that should would move to North Carolina with her daughter. She sold her home and moved.
Even though at the time, it was very difficult, she has found this to be the best place for her. I call her every Wednesday evening to chat. Her eyesight does not allow her to read much and her hands are somewhat crippled so she can't knit for very long. Her hearing is waning, but she has family that surrounds her with lots of love. Her mind is as sharp as it always was.
I miss having Pearl here, but our weekly chats remind both of us the friendship that we have. I told her that I was writing a slice about her and she was thrilled. So Pearl, here's to you. A very special woman who inspires me every day. When I grow up, I want to be like her.
Pearl came into my life after her husband passed away. She will be 95 years young this year.
I am a Stephen Minister at our church. Stephen Minister have a one-on-one caring relationship with someone who is going thru difficult times. The loss of Pearl's husband, John, was very tramatic for her. I knew who she was because we went to the same church service, but we never had a reason to get to know each other. But I became her Stephen Minister.
Her daughter was visiting from North Carolina the day that I met with her. We were both apprehensive, but this relationship grew stronger each week we visited. The first night I was there, her daughter asked if I'd like to join them in an "attitude adjustment" which really broke the ice for both of us.
Each week for 5 or 6 years, we shared Wednesday night dinner and a glass of wine. We learned about each other and prayed for each other.
Pearl was a voracious reader and enjoyed knitting. She went twice a week to the Strong Women's exercise class, she loves playing Scrabble and played weekly at the Senior Center. She worked crossword puzzles and mind games.
Over the years our Stephen Ministry relationship turning into a wonderful friendship and kinship. Five years ago, Pearl's eyesight diminshed and she couldn't drive any more. Her daughter came to help, to see if there was some place that she could move into. The decision was made with much trepidation that should would move to North Carolina with her daughter. She sold her home and moved.
Even though at the time, it was very difficult, she has found this to be the best place for her. I call her every Wednesday evening to chat. Her eyesight does not allow her to read much and her hands are somewhat crippled so she can't knit for very long. Her hearing is waning, but she has family that surrounds her with lots of love. Her mind is as sharp as it always was.
I miss having Pearl here, but our weekly chats remind both of us the friendship that we have. I told her that I was writing a slice about her and she was thrilled. So Pearl, here's to you. A very special woman who inspires me every day. When I grow up, I want to be like her.
I too am a widow. It is one of the most difficult things I have ever had to face. The love and kindnesses extended to me and my family even from strangers is overwhelming. What a wonderful service and what a story about a tentative relationship that was deepened over time. I love this. Thank you for sharing this story of authentic love.
ReplyDeletewhat a special woman!
ReplyDeletehttps://tammysreadinglife.wordpress.com/
What a wonderful program and a way to reach out to those who need help. This shows how friendships are cultivated and how they grow over time.
ReplyDeleteOh, Pearl will love this! Such a sweet tribute to her. I hope you will read it to her next week! You have such a special relationship with her. Continue enjoying those weekly visits over the phone!
ReplyDelete