Tuesday SOL - 4/11/17 - An Anniversary

If my parents were still alive, they would have celebrated their 74th wedding anniversary on the 10th.

It was a story of many in the year 1943.  Men in the military wanting to marry before being sent off to war, possibly overseas, possibly not to return, but there were many that did and spent many happy years together.

Mom & Dad were among those in the military.  Dad came home on furlough and they were married against the wishes of my Aunt who was 14 at the time.  Mom had raised her and taken care of the house and family.  My Aunt was angry because now she would be expected to step into Mom's role.

But they did marry and travel to California where Dad was stationed in San Luis Obispo.  Because he had lost sight in one eye due to an accident in his teens, he was considered 4F and wouldn't be sent overseas.  After the war, they moved back to Illinois and settled on the farm.  My brother was born in California and four years later, I was born.  We lived on the farm until 1959 when we moved into a home that Dad had built in town.

Their marriage was one of love, friendship, partnership and filled with the presence of God.  They didn't have a lot of money, but always seemed to have enough.  They enjoyed traveling or just spending time together.  I can't remember them disagreeing, but I'm sure in their way, they had some ups and downs in their marriage.  They were dedicated to each other. They have been an inspiration to me and I've learned a lot from them just by watching how they treated each other and other people.

It was a match made in heaven and I'm sure they had a big celebration yesterday.  I can see them waltzing to a Glenn Miller song and looking at each other with love.   Happy Anniversary, Mom & Dad!  Love you!

Comments

  1. What an inspiration. It is true, we learn by what we see. I am sure they are smiling and proud of their legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were your role model for your life and now you have passed this down to Michelle and her girls (in the future). What a lovely tribute to your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great that you have much of the history of their early lives right here in this blog post. What a gift to your family. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful memories! I appreciate more and more the stories you share here for a remembrance of our family history. I love that photo of Grandma and Grandpa!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years