March 2018 SOLCS 9/31 - Question #7

What were your chores as a child?

We lived on a farm until I was 10. 

We raised chickens and I can remember gathering eggs.  I also remember Mom rounding up chickens so that we could harvest them for food and I would have to pluck the feathers for further preparation.  Fortunately, this was only done once or twice a year.

Actual chores -
  • washing or drying dishes
  • picking up toys
  • feeding the dog and cats
  • cleaning my room 
  • dusting

When we moved into town, those same chores were made available, plus
  • weeding the garden
  • harvesting veggies
  • hanging clothes on the line to dry
  • mowing grass
I'm sure there were others, and as I grew older, the chores increased.  There was no allowance, it was just something we did to help out around the house.

Comments

  1. My chore was ironing pillow cases and hankies, only the flat items. Plus I had to make some kind of dessert. Guess that wasn't such a bad chore, since I could enjoy it later. No allowances in my house either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a city kid, so I no outdoor chores for me. I was like Elsie--ironing, small cooking chores, babysitting the youngers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is really important that children have chores. Besides making them feel like they are part of the family unit it shows them everyone has a job to do and with all puling together things get done more quickly and things run smoothly. It teaches responsibility, something that I fear is lacking in some children, as well as parents, today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My chores were to keep a clean bedroom, wash dishes & put them away and always make my bed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm .... Madison has been asking about chores, but WITH allowance! Smart girl. But I agree, everyone needs to help out around the house!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years