March 2018 SOLSC 10/31 - Question #8
Describe getting a Christmas tree with your family as a child. How did you decorate it? When did you put it up and take it down?
I don't remember going with Dad to get a tree, but I do remember him bringing it home and setting it up in the stand. We probably put it the week of Christmas, but before Christmas Eve. It was taken down after Epiphany - Jan. 6th.
When we lived on the farm, the trees were never too big and as I look back at some of the pictures, they remind me of a Charlie Brown Christmas tree - not completely filled in. It was decorated with lights - some bubble lights and larger bulbs. There was silver tinsel - put on piece by piece. The ornaments consisted of different colors balls, the metal spiral ornaments, some handmade ornaments and the ones that I still have are 3 fragile glass Santas. There was always a star on top. No matter how bare the tree looked when Dad brought it in, it was always beautiful when decorated.
After we moved into town and as artificial trees became popular, Mom & Dad got one. Still using the same decorations minus the bubble lights and individual tinsel.
We had a crèche and manger scene. After Dad retired, he built us a crèche which we still put up each year.
I don't remember going with Dad to get a tree, but I do remember him bringing it home and setting it up in the stand. We probably put it the week of Christmas, but before Christmas Eve. It was taken down after Epiphany - Jan. 6th.
When we lived on the farm, the trees were never too big and as I look back at some of the pictures, they remind me of a Charlie Brown Christmas tree - not completely filled in. It was decorated with lights - some bubble lights and larger bulbs. There was silver tinsel - put on piece by piece. The ornaments consisted of different colors balls, the metal spiral ornaments, some handmade ornaments and the ones that I still have are 3 fragile glass Santas. There was always a star on top. No matter how bare the tree looked when Dad brought it in, it was always beautiful when decorated.
After we moved into town and as artificial trees became popular, Mom & Dad got one. Still using the same decorations minus the bubble lights and individual tinsel.
We had a crèche and manger scene. After Dad retired, he built us a crèche which we still put up each year.
It was interesting to read about Christmas tree in March. At the same time looking out of the window our weather right now is more Christmasy than in December. My family still brings in a live tree.
ReplyDeleteI grew up with bubble lights too! When you describe your decorations I can picture your tree- the tinsel, put on piece by piece. I like your idea of responding to journal prompts/questions as another way to think of a slice!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely description! I can almost see the tree, though unlike cindaroo, I don't know what bubble lights are. (My imagination is pretty good, though!) I love the question jar approach - may have to borrow that since some days have already been hard & it's only day 10!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed hearing about your tree. I'm always curious to hear if people top their tree with a star or an angel. I always love a live tree, but I remember very few in my life. They do have their own character.
ReplyDeleteOh, you have me reaching far back into my mind to remember our Christmas trees. I'm pretty sure our tree was artificial. I know for sure the trees after we moved to our new house were. I remember the big lights that would get too hot to touch. I remember a few years hanging icicles one by one (my mom wasn't too big of a fan of that). I remember the angel that topped our tree. Mostly, I remember the ornaments made by my great grandmother and cherished by our family. Thanks for that little memory walk. I'm intrigued by your idea to start with a question. I think I'll be stopping by when the writing is hard...and, of course, to see what you're up to on your blog.
We usually got the tree during the week of Christmas, and there wasn't a lot of choices left on the tree lots. I remember once the person at the lot gave us two trees to tie together because they were both so pathetic. I also had tinsel placed one by one on the branches.
ReplyDeleteHow great that you still use the creche your dad made. I remember my grandfather going out to the woods and coming back with a tree that he would place in a bucket and then we would all decorate.
ReplyDelete