March 2018 SOLSC - 27/31 - A Prompt from the Question Jar

The question jar has been my "go to" for this March Challenge, so here's another one:

What musical instruments do you play?

I'd love to say that I played many, but really can only "play at" the piano and organ.  I can read music, and probably, if I'd practice I might actually be able to play a song.  I took piano lessons for maybe three or four years from the age of ten.  I can remember that I REALLY didn't like to practice - it was like a punishment, but at least I have the basics.  I have always thought that I would take lessons once I retired, but then there's that "practice" thing.  Maybe in the future....

The other instrument that I have enjoyed over the years is my voice.  I participated in children's choir and chorus thru grade school and high school and have always loved singing - never as a soloist.  I've sang in church choirs and as a duet with my Hubby - we even did a duet for a friend's wedding.

I have a friend who has always been active in Sweet Adelines Four Part Barbershop harmony.  She invited me to attend a show that the local Chain of Lakes Chorus was presenting.  Needless to say, I fell in love with the music.  Tried out for the chorus and joined, singing in the Lead section.  We were considered a "small" chorus, probably 25-30, but we had some powerful singers.  Being in Sweet Adelines meant that we would compete yearly at the Regional Competition in Grand Rapids, MI.  What a great experience!  One year we placed First in the Small Chorus division.  Especially listening to the large (over 100) voices harmonizing and the quartets as they completed.  I sang with Chain of Lakes for seven years before we moved to Arkansas.

I found out that there was a chorus in Mountain Home, so once again tried out and joined for about three years.  This was a "just for fun" group of women who liked to talk more than sing.  So I decided that wasn't what I wanted.

Now, as I'm getting older and I don't use my singing voice as much, I find that I have no breath control and my range has gotten much lower - must have something to do with that "practice" thing!  While I still love to sing, most of the time it's now to some favorite songs on the radio.

Hubby played a B Tenor Flat Saxophone in elementary school.  He was well known for his rendition of Sentimental Journey










Comments

  1. I know I have mentioned it in previous posts...I played the accordion. I took lessons for many years as a child. I still have it but haven't picked it up in years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I marvel at people who can play an instrument. I never understood musical notes enough to play anything. As a child, I was always in a panic when it came time for learning the fluteaphone. I faked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you have a beautiful voice ... and practice does work! I think you should take piano lessons now! What fun! I didn't know dad played the saxophone! (I think you lost some of your slice as it cut out on Dad's part!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years