March 2018 SOLSC - 3/31 - Question #2 from the Question Jar

What do you know about your parents' wedding?


It was a story of many in the year 1943.  Men in the military wanting to marry before being sent off to war, possibly overseas, possibly not to return, but there were many that did and spent many happy years together.

Mom & Dad were among those in the military.  Dad came home on furlough and they were married against the wishes of my Aunt who was 14 at the time.  Mom had raised her and taken care of the house and family.  My Aunt was angry because now she would be expected to step into Mom's role.

Within a matter of a couple of weeks, the wedding was planned.  They were married on April 10, 1943.  Mom borrowed a wedding dress from my aunt (Dad's sister-in-law) who had recently married Dad's brother.  Mom's sister was her maid of honor and Dad's brother was his best man.  Mom carried a bouquet of snap dragons and some other flowers and she wore a heart shaped locket with pictures of her & Dad (I still have the locket).  They were married at the Lutheran Church in Herscher, IL.  I don't recall them talking about a reception or anything else, but I'm sure there was something.

Shortly after they were married, they packed Mom's belongings into the car and headed to California where Dad finished his Army career.  They were married for 44 happy years before Mom passed away.

Their marriage was one of love, friendship, partnership and filled with the presence of God.  They didn't have a lot of money, but always seemed to have enough.  They enjoyed traveling or just spending time together.  I can't remember them disagreeing, but I'm sure in their way, they had some ups and downs in their marriage.  They were dedicated to each other. They have been an inspiration to me and I've learned a lot from them just by watching how they treated each other and other people.

It was a match made in heaven.  I can see them waltzing to a Glenn Miller song and looking at each other with love.  

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! My cousin shared a video from my parents' wedding. We only have a few pictures so it was extra special. They were so young! as were my grandparents :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beauty and grace. What an amazing story! And I'm glad you are writing these all down! ... Now you have to answer the questions about you and dad! I don't know much about your wedding day! :( The beautiful thing of it all? They are dancing together now in heaven. Beautiful memories, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anniversary coming up this month. Was planning to answer this question for us on the 21st!

      Delete
  4. This is such a beautiful post, Judy. And I think Michelle is right. For her, for the girls, you need to write down your story (and I should probably follow my own advice!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post. I, unfortunately, know nothing about my parents' wedding except that it also occurred while my dad was in the service.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post is a beautiful testimony to the power of love. Money does not make you happy...but love does. Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years