March 2018 SOLSC - 4/31 - Question #3 from the Question Jar
What is the most trying experience that ever happened to you?
I'm not sure what "trying" means, but I'm going to take it as "difficult/scary" experience.
It happened in 1996. On a Monday morning, before 6:00 a.m.. I'm busy getting ready for work. Scott living out on his own. Michelle at school in Champaign. Hubby left for work at 4:00 a.m.
The phone rings.
Hubby calls and says "I'm not feeling well. I'm coming home. Don't go to work. I think we need to go to the doctor." Now, he works at the USAF base at O'Hare Airport - a 40 minute drive.
I asked, "Do you want me to come and get you?". His reply, "No, I'll be fine."
I anxiously waited and waited and pondered what happened the night before when he told me he wasn't feeling very good. I kiddingly said, "Take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning."
He arrived home and was the color of ashes. We promptly got in the car and I drove him to the ER.
I'm sitting in the waiting room - nary a soul around. The Doctor comes out and says, "Your husband is having a heart attack. We are treating him now." I can remember looking around the waiting room and thinking "who is this doctor talking to?". "We'll be admitting him shortly."
After the shock hit me, I called Scott and he arrived within what seemed to be minutes. We got to see Hubby briefly and then were chased out of the room so that he could be treated. Later in the day we were told that he would be transferred to the hospital in Elgin. They would let me know when and that I should go home and rest.
About an hour later, I received a call from the nurse, saying "Due to your insurance (which was an HMO), we can't send him to Elgin, he will either have to go to a hospital in Chicago or Downers Grove. (either one being over a hour from where we lived). I chose Downers Grove and she said he would be leaving by ambulance within the hour and we should meet him there as he would be having surgery.
My thoughts are foggy from that point as to the particulars. Basically, all I remember is that Scott got us to the hospital, we saw Len briefly before he went into surgery. The doctor never talked to us. We weren't sure what was happening. The nurse gave us an update that he was having a stint inserted.
I prayed. A lady sat down next to me and started talking. I told her what had happened and she patted me on the hand and told me everything would be fine. She left and I felt a presence come over me and I looked at Scott and said, "Dad will be okay." And shortly, the nurse came out and said surgery was over and all was good. We could go in to see him.
He was alert and talkative. He had watched the whole procedure. They would be keeping him for several days, but he was alive and going to be okay.
And, now after 22 years, he is okay! Doing everything he wants and enjoying life. I'm so thankful that God was with us and helped us through this "trying" experience.
I'm not sure what "trying" means, but I'm going to take it as "difficult/scary" experience.
It happened in 1996. On a Monday morning, before 6:00 a.m.. I'm busy getting ready for work. Scott living out on his own. Michelle at school in Champaign. Hubby left for work at 4:00 a.m.
The phone rings.
Hubby calls and says "I'm not feeling well. I'm coming home. Don't go to work. I think we need to go to the doctor." Now, he works at the USAF base at O'Hare Airport - a 40 minute drive.
I asked, "Do you want me to come and get you?". His reply, "No, I'll be fine."
I anxiously waited and waited and pondered what happened the night before when he told me he wasn't feeling very good. I kiddingly said, "Take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning."
He arrived home and was the color of ashes. We promptly got in the car and I drove him to the ER.
I'm sitting in the waiting room - nary a soul around. The Doctor comes out and says, "Your husband is having a heart attack. We are treating him now." I can remember looking around the waiting room and thinking "who is this doctor talking to?". "We'll be admitting him shortly."
After the shock hit me, I called Scott and he arrived within what seemed to be minutes. We got to see Hubby briefly and then were chased out of the room so that he could be treated. Later in the day we were told that he would be transferred to the hospital in Elgin. They would let me know when and that I should go home and rest.
About an hour later, I received a call from the nurse, saying "Due to your insurance (which was an HMO), we can't send him to Elgin, he will either have to go to a hospital in Chicago or Downers Grove. (either one being over a hour from where we lived). I chose Downers Grove and she said he would be leaving by ambulance within the hour and we should meet him there as he would be having surgery.
My thoughts are foggy from that point as to the particulars. Basically, all I remember is that Scott got us to the hospital, we saw Len briefly before he went into surgery. The doctor never talked to us. We weren't sure what was happening. The nurse gave us an update that he was having a stint inserted.
I prayed. A lady sat down next to me and started talking. I told her what had happened and she patted me on the hand and told me everything would be fine. She left and I felt a presence come over me and I looked at Scott and said, "Dad will be okay." And shortly, the nurse came out and said surgery was over and all was good. We could go in to see him.
He was alert and talkative. He had watched the whole procedure. They would be keeping him for several days, but he was alive and going to be okay.
And, now after 22 years, he is okay! Doing everything he wants and enjoying life. I'm so thankful that God was with us and helped us through this "trying" experience.
Wow. What a powerful experience that you were able to share so vividly with your words. I am thankful that you are able to reflect on it all so positively now and that it is all in the past as it were. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI held my breath reading this story. I'm so glad that he survived and is with you 22 years later. Thank goodness!!
ReplyDeleteI wanted to comment on the idea of the question jar too. It's brilliant. I'm going to work on creating my own. Thank you for the inspiration!
I had a hard time reading this even though I knew the outcome ... all I remember is the phone call AFTER everything settled. Again, I'm so thankful that you are capturing these moments here ... I don't have the best of memories and for you to record this in such detail. I'm so impressed. Please give Dad an extra BIG hug and kiss today! We love him SO very much!!
ReplyDeleteSo glad everything worked out well. What a scary experience. I can feel the anxiety in your words.
ReplyDelete