March 2018 SOLSC 7/31 - Question #5
Tell about a favorite vacation from your childhood.
I don't recall that any one vacation stuck out more than another. I do remember that we usually took a trip some place each year. Here's some of the trips I remember:
My grandparents were "snow birds" and went to Kissimmee, FL for the winter and we spend several Christmas' with them.
Many years we would spend a week at a resort (not what we think of as a resort today - just small cottages) in Spooner, WI on Little Arbor Vitae Lake. We would take the boat out and do some fishing, but mainly just hanging out.
We visited family near Flint, MI. They had a lake house, but I don't remember where it was located.
We traveled to South Dakota and Yellowstone National Park.
One year, we went to Niagara Falls and also visited Washington, DC.
Travel was much different in the 1950's and 1960's. We didn't visit theme parks (if they existed), no big cities, no camp grounds. There weren't many (if any) expressways and the speed limit might have been 55 MPH. So we didn't travel far and it was usually for only a week.
I do remember that it was fun to be away from home and see new sights.
I don't recall that any one vacation stuck out more than another. I do remember that we usually took a trip some place each year. Here's some of the trips I remember:
My grandparents were "snow birds" and went to Kissimmee, FL for the winter and we spend several Christmas' with them.
Many years we would spend a week at a resort (not what we think of as a resort today - just small cottages) in Spooner, WI on Little Arbor Vitae Lake. We would take the boat out and do some fishing, but mainly just hanging out.
We visited family near Flint, MI. They had a lake house, but I don't remember where it was located.
We traveled to South Dakota and Yellowstone National Park.
One year, we went to Niagara Falls and also visited Washington, DC.
Travel was much different in the 1950's and 1960's. We didn't visit theme parks (if they existed), no big cities, no camp grounds. There weren't many (if any) expressways and the speed limit might have been 55 MPH. So we didn't travel far and it was usually for only a week.
I do remember that it was fun to be away from home and see new sights.
I am loving the question jar prompts. I could write a lot about this one.
ReplyDeleteI think when we were growing up because of limitations more time was spent in planning vacations and anticipation grew as the time to leave approached.
ReplyDeleteOur vacations were always spent with my relatives. My parents farmed the kids out to aunts and uncles. I have no clue what they did for the duration. I didn't know about vacations where people went away until I was married.
ReplyDeleteSnippets of memories. I appreciated your explanation of vacation in the 50-60s ... puts it into perspective. Vacation now a days with families is very different for sure!
ReplyDelete