Tuesday SOL 7/24/18 - A Chat with my Brother

My brother, Allan, is four years old than me.  We've always gotten along (I'm sure there were times growing up where he would disagree).  We usually talk once a month just to catch up on what's happening with our families and to see how each other are doing.  He lives about 2-1/2 hours from our kids in Illinois.

This morning I gave him a call - just checking in.  He has some health issues, but he feels great.  He told me that the test on his kidneys was not normal, but they were going to check again in a month.  He exercises, eats healthy, but worries excessively.  I kiddingly said, "Not you!  You're just like Mom."  And then, I laughingly said, "And me".  Yes, we are definitely siblings.  Our Dad was the happy-go-lucky sort of guy and things didn't bother him (or at least he never let it show).  But, our Mom, was the worrier.

We talked about high blood pressure and cataract surgery, about the grandkids and the weather, our upcoming trip and a multitude of other things.  At the end of our conversation, he said, "You made my day.  I keep wondering if I'm doing the right things and worrying about the medical tests, but you assured me that what I've been thinking is right - to keep exercising, eat right and enjoy life (and stop worrying so much).  Thank you for the reassurance."

That made my day, knowing that I've helped to calm some anxieties.  God is good and will get us all through our troubles and is definitely with us in those up times.


Comments

  1. Sometimes only a family member can give us the reassurance we need. How right you are. God is always there for us and gives us the strength to go on when we don't think we can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want to call my brother! This is lovely and so true, the way we chat as adults with our siblings, remembering the past at the same time that we are immersed in the present.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all still need reassurance—no matter how old we get! Happy you were able to share this with Uncle Allan! You made his day just as much as he made yours!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years