Tuesday SOL 9/25/28 - First Week of Mentoring

As a follow up to last week's post,  the first session of our After School Mentoring Program was a SUCCESS!

After a slightly rocky start regarding the bus pick up, the rest of the afternoon went smoothly.

We had 15 kids attend - five of them repeats from last year - 7 from 4th grade and 8 from 3rd grade.

One challenging child (isn't that normal?), but overall, the kids were well behaved, willing to accept our help.  Most of the parents came and stayed for supper and talk.  We had pizza and one young man ask if he could have a pencil and paper so he could find out what kind of pizza everyone would like to have.  I suggested he have 3 choices - cheese, sausage and peperoni.  He did this all one his own and I complimented his parents when I talked with them.

The most rewarding moment for me was when I had been working with A (who was new to the program).  We had worked on her science paper and when it was time to move to the next area, she looked at me and said "Can't I just stay with you?" and gave me a big hug.

So now we'll see how week two goes.  We feel blessed that we can work with these kids and their parents.

Comments

  1. So glad you had a good first week. You are definitely providing something these students need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids love to connect the most! Relationships matter ... first! Before the learning and the work. :) So happy to see the difference you are making.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years