Birds of all kinds - SOS6 - 5/14/20

I wrote about the hummingbirds several weeks ago and we still enjoy their antics of flitting, sitting, drinking, protecting and sometimes sharing. They go from the front feeder to the back feeder, over to our neighbor's feeder and back again. Never tiring and always on the looking.
There are some killdeers that have built their nest in our neighbor's rock garden - well hidden and protected and yet out in the open.
Several years ago, we noticing some birds (type unknown to us) trying to build a nest on the downspout. Hubby decided to help them out and built a small structure that they could put all their twigs in. They have been coming back each year and this year it is so packed full that we're not sure how they can even get into the shelter, but they do.
And then, we have some very persistent and inventive cardinals. We kept seeing them fly with twigs in their beaks behind the structure on the downspout. It's only about an inch between the downspout and wall. They had it jam back full and then they tried to attach twigs to that mass and set to build a nest alongside the structure on top of the downspout. Mamma would bring in a twig, then two and so on. Papa would bring his fair share too. And the nest proceeded to be built, but it soon began to slip and slide. Hubby gentle pushed it back and tried to secure it to help them out.But now we're afraid that they didn't like his help and we haven't seen them for a day.
Last fall, our swan returned and brought a mate with him. They were here for three months or more and then one day, they walked across the grass to an adjacent pond. One that was apparently easier to make a nest. And then, on Tuesday, they both reappeared for several hours. Our neighbor gave them some corn and off they went. Today, they are back, but we don't know for how long. Such beautiful birds and a joy to watch.
God has truly blessed us with these creatures and makes me realize how much JOY I have surrounding me on a daily basis.


Another lovely post about birds! I always have Boston ferns on my porch, and the birds love those! I love watching nest-building!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful way to find joy! You make me want to pay more attention to my own yard and the birds who visit.
ReplyDeleteBirds give us endless entertainment. How cool to have swans you get to watch!
ReplyDeleteYour descriptions made me want to go outside and start observing the birds in my backyard. I think the joy of being able to sit still long enough is that you really get to know your avian neighbors-their quirks and habits.
ReplyDeleteI was watching a hummingbird this week at my parents' house and thought about you. Did you know that swans mate for life? When one passes, the other stays alone. I learned that tidbit when I was drafting a YA novel. ;)
ReplyDeleteReading this as I listen to the birds outside my window at 5 am reminds me of "the peace of wild things." I love moving from bird to bird in your piece and feeling the joy that you feel when observing them.
ReplyDelete