Tuesday SOL 8/7/12 - 40 years
Forty (yes 40) years ago on August 5th, I became a MOM!
We celebrated our son's 40th birthday this past weekend (I'm not sure how he got so old). We surprised him! His girlfriend planned a Surprise Birthday Party and we drove to IL to attend. I think our being there was more of a surprise than the actual party. What a thrill to see his face when he saw us.
Hubby & I reminised about the day of his birth. He was two weeks early and I didn't have a clue what labor was all about. I was very energetic and moved furniture, but oh, did my back ache. We went to a drive-in movie (don't remember what it was) and didn't see the end because of contractions. I think Hubby's hand is still misshaped because I was holding on so tightly. At 4:30 a.m. he arrived. What a joy!
I have been working on a scrapbook of Scott's life and the surprise party gave me incentive to get it finished. I had the majority of the pictures together, but had left the journaling. So for the last couple of weeks in July, I frantically started writing. It brought back so many memories of his early years - walking, talking, running, playing soccer and baseball, graduating and joining the Army. Each page brought to life what Scott means to us. Over the 40 years, there have been many ups and downs, joy and sadness, challenges and adventures. And to this day, he continues to bring joy into our lives and we are so very proud of him.
Happy Birthday, Scott! We love you!
We celebrated our son's 40th birthday this past weekend (I'm not sure how he got so old). We surprised him! His girlfriend planned a Surprise Birthday Party and we drove to IL to attend. I think our being there was more of a surprise than the actual party. What a thrill to see his face when he saw us.
Hubby & I reminised about the day of his birth. He was two weeks early and I didn't have a clue what labor was all about. I was very energetic and moved furniture, but oh, did my back ache. We went to a drive-in movie (don't remember what it was) and didn't see the end because of contractions. I think Hubby's hand is still misshaped because I was holding on so tightly. At 4:30 a.m. he arrived. What a joy!
I have been working on a scrapbook of Scott's life and the surprise party gave me incentive to get it finished. I had the majority of the pictures together, but had left the journaling. So for the last couple of weeks in July, I frantically started writing. It brought back so many memories of his early years - walking, talking, running, playing soccer and baseball, graduating and joining the Army. Each page brought to life what Scott means to us. Over the 40 years, there have been many ups and downs, joy and sadness, challenges and adventures. And to this day, he continues to bring joy into our lives and we are so very proud of him.
Happy Birthday, Scott! We love you!
We were all so glad that you and Dad came up! It was extra bonus time for us. Forty years (deep breath - I'm not far from it!) What a wonderful journey to go through life through the pictures and words of your scrapbook. A special gift indeed -- and I'm sure Jen enjoyed it even more! So glad that you surprised him on a special day!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun... the party and the BIG surprise! I had the pleasure of meeting Scott at Michelle's annual July 3rd party. I can only imagine the laughter going through his scrapbook of life... the best gift ever I'm sure!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to Scott! The scrapbook will surely be a treasure - all the photos and (more importantly) all your memories!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to Scott! The scrapbook will surely be a treasure - all the photos and (more importantly) all your memories!
ReplyDeleteI love creating surprises like this and being surprised. What a special time for your family!
ReplyDeleteOH, this is so awesome! I love surprises! I am so happy that you got to surprise your son-spending time with family and friends at occasions like this is really a slice to behold!
ReplyDeleteAwwww. . . I'm smiling as I read that last paragraph because I do the same exact thing when I go through all my kids photos and the snippets of writing I wrote to remember events. Oh, the plans I had for scrapbooks and writing books about their childhood!
ReplyDeleteYou are giving me permission to let go of that guiltiness of not doing anything with it. . . just yet. I have time! :-)
I hope the 40th birthday party was one to remember forever.
We are so happy you both were able to come up and celebrate with us! I know Scott was absolutly thrilled that you were able to make the journey up to IL for a few days. This will go down in the books as one of the best Birthday surprises ever! The scrapbook was an added bonus. We looked through it again tonight. Thanks again for helping me pull this off! Love ya :)
ReplyDelete