Divergent by Veronica Roth

Goodreads Summary:  "In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all."

I read this on recommendation from Michelle with her warning that this might not be my kind of read.  On that aspect, she was right, but I read it thru, all 400+ pages.  Did I like it?  Hmmm - it kept my interest and I sped thru it quickly.  Would I read the next book in the trilogy?  Probably not.  There was a lot of  aspects of this book that made me think and consider how our world is changing.  Could this be a life that our grandchildren's children will be living?  And then again, is it so far from where we are today.  Don't we have choices to make (maybe not life changing at the age of 16), but choices none the less.  I wonder what YA think about this book - how do they interpret it's meaning.  

I have been trying to read "out of my usual" and this definitely fits that category.  

Finished:  August 30, 2012

Comments

  1. Well, glad you read it any way. It was way out of the usual for both of us. But a book that keeps me wanting to read more is a great book in my eyes. I'll read the next book and see where it goes from there.

    Good thought on what young adults (kids!) think. . . I wonder too because I only know adults who have read the book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

SOL 21/31 - Today We Celebrate 45 Years