Tuesday SOL 10/9/12 - I'm Not Ready Yet!
I'm not ready!
The summer was hot and humid
It seemed to go on forever
The A/C ran and ran
The dial on the electric meter went round and round
Oh, we hoped for some cooler temperatures
We wanted to open up the house
To let in some fresh, cool air
We longed for a change in the season
For that time of the year when
It was cool at night and warm during the day.
But how can we go from 90 degrees one day
and down in the 30's the next?
What happened to the delightful 70 degree days
and 50 degree nights? That "perfect" weather.
I'm not ready for COLD
I'm not ready to cut and split wood
and keeping the fire burning all day and thru the night.
I'm not ready to wear sweaters, heavy socks,
coats and gloves.
I'm not ready for winter, especially when it's
only October.
But then, am I ever ready for cold, winter days?
The summer was hot and humid
It seemed to go on forever
The A/C ran and ran
The dial on the electric meter went round and round
Oh, we hoped for some cooler temperatures
We wanted to open up the house
To let in some fresh, cool air
We longed for a change in the season
For that time of the year when
It was cool at night and warm during the day.
But how can we go from 90 degrees one day
and down in the 30's the next?
What happened to the delightful 70 degree days
and 50 degree nights? That "perfect" weather.
I'm not ready for COLD
I'm not ready to cut and split wood
and keeping the fire burning all day and thru the night.
I'm not ready to wear sweaters, heavy socks,
coats and gloves.
I'm not ready for winter, especially when it's
only October.
But then, am I ever ready for cold, winter days?

I am not ready for cold winter days either. But I would love to sit by a blazing fire with a good book. I hope we have some warmer days before it snows.
ReplyDeleteWe too had that drop, Judy, & a little snow too, but yesterday we were back in the 70's so there's hope! Thanks for expressing what most of us experienced last weekend. (I haven't even thought of changing out my summer clothes to winter yet!
ReplyDeleteI know!!! How is it that fall has become maybe one month long? This is why when it was so hot this summer, I didn't complaine because I am NEVER ready for snow and cold!
ReplyDeleteYou pose that eternal question "Where is the perfect weather?" I was right there with you all through this poem. Hopefully it will still be a while before snow comes.
ReplyDeleteIt's so amazing we have NO control over the weather and yet it occupies so much of our thoughts and energies! I put away my sandals this morning - sadly - and I share you pain even though I have NO control over this aspect of life!
ReplyDeleteI have to confess, I am ALWAYS ready to put on a sweater and warm socks. My husband and I both love "sweater days". My fingers have been cold all day as I plan and write. Makes me drink too much coffee for the joy holding the hot mug brings, but that is the only downside of 50 degree days (and, really, only my doctor thinks its a downside). I love October!
ReplyDeleteI know, some how we missed the "in between" in seasons. What happened? Hang in there. Enjoy the warmth of the fire, hot tea, and snuggling Max. Soon enough, winter will roll through and spring will arrive.
ReplyDeleteWe've enjoyed a prolonged summer in the Northwest without our usual rain. I've treasured every day, but also love hot tea, fires, and flannel pajamas. I think our rains will arrive this weekend.
ReplyDelete