SOLSC 3/20/14 - Living a Guatemala Build Trip Through Others' Eyes

A couple of weeks ago I wrote that I was jealous that the reps I work with were going on a Thrivent Built/Habitat trip to Guatemala.  The guys got back home on Sunday.  When I went to work on Tuesday, I heard all about the trip and saw their pictures.  I thought I'd share some of their trip.

This was Shawn's third trip and each of them have been a little different.  He is still just as excited as he was when he came back from the first one.  This trip was a little different as they were in the middle of the build and didn't have to dig trenches and unfortunately, they were rained out for three of the five days.  They did make progress on the house, but not as much as they would have liked.  This build was on the Caribbean side of Guatemala and was very HOT and humid.  Shawn said he didn't realize he could sweat so much.  While they were rained out of working, they did get to do some extra sightseeing and the pictures were beautiful.  The others that joined the team were just as excited about the trip and build.  One couple celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary during the trip.  They told their kids that this is how they wanted to celebrate - by helping others.

This was Colin's first build trip and he came back totally excited and overwhelmed by all that he had experienced.  I know exactly how he feels.  It's such a meaningful experience that it's hard to put it all into words, but he has been sharing with everyone who comes in the office all about the trip and he encourages everyone to consider trying an adventure either here in the States or out of the country.  He can't stop talking about the family that they helped, the country of Guatemala, the heat, the scenery and the build.  The house was being build for a Mom and her two small sons and seeing his pictures of this family, you could tell how grateful they were.

Hearing their experience and seeing their pictures weren't quite the same as being a part of the trip.  I haven't heard when the next trip will be scheduled, but I'm sure it's being discussed.  I've already told them that they can't go together and leave me alone in the office.  If that happens, I'll threaten to quit!

Comments

  1. What great work you and others are doing! I hope you get to go out and help again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the comment made by the couple celebrating their 65th anniversary. They know the true meaning of love and giving. Hope you get to go next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific to hear at least something about another trip, Judy. Isn't that wonderful about the couple who celebrated their 65th anniversary! I'm glad you shared again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Special people - spending their 65th. anniversary helping where help is needed most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that is how I WOULD LOVE to spend MY 65th anniversary! What a way to share, give back, and acknowledge the gifts of a blessed life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, you should tell them that you will be joining them both on the next trip! I bet it brought back great memories for you, especially Colin's excitement!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SOL 18/31 - The Realtor's Came Yesterday

Tuesday SOL 10/23/12 - Mr. Pockets goes to school

Tuesday SOL - 9/25/12 - A New Beginning for a Special Couple